Veteran Home Modification

Active Military, Veterans or their spouses can face difficulty in buying their homes, refinancing, or modifying it. One of Cosan Home’s partners is a 23-years old military Veteran who faced the difficulty himself in using the EEM program when he wanted to upgrade his home to energy-efficient window upgrades. He somehow managed to do it but found the process to be tiresome, confusing and stressful.

Cosan Home understood the problem and now works to ease the home buying process and home modification process for the active military veterans and their spouses. Cosan Home fills an important void which our veterans and their loved ones were facing.

When it comes to home modification, there are many reasons due to which the veterans go for it.

For example: If the owner has a disability which requires a wheelchair and wants the modifications for the home, then Cosan Home can assist the owner in getting the modification done per the dedicated Grant Program

There are three types of Grant Programs created for the disabled service members and Veterans for their home modifications.

Specially Adapted Housing Grant (SAH) Grant

Service members and Veterans with particular service-based disability are entitled to SAH grant to get their home modified as per their special needs.

The disabilities must be due to…

(1) The loss or loss of use of both the legs, and the veteran cannot move around without the help of braces, crutches, canes, or a wheelchair.

(2) Blindness in both eyes, in addition to loss or loss of use of one leg

(3) The loss or loss of use of one leg and an injury or loss or loss of use of one arm impacting the balancing and holding the aid of braces, cane, crutches, or wheelchair.

(5) The loss or loss of use of arms above the elbows or at the elbows.

(6) Full-thickness or subdermal burn injury

Special Home Adaptation (SHA) Grant

This grant is available to modify the existing home to make availability of mobility throughout the home. Service members and Veterans with a particular service-based disability may be entitled to the Special Home Adaptation (SHA) grant.

(1) Blindness in eyes (Both) with 20/200 visual acuity

(2) The anatomical loss or loss of use of both hands and legs below the elbow

(3) Injuries due to burning (as so determined)

Home Improvements and Structural Alterations (HISA) Grant

HISA grant is available to the veterans for the continuation of their treatment or disability access to the essential lavatory and sanitary facilities. HISA grant is also for those who have got a medical determination indicating that structural modifications and enhancements are essential or suitable for the reasonable and efficient treatment for their disability.

HISA grant is for non-service-based veterans as well as service-based veterans.

Talk to our experts today if you want to apply for the SAH grant, SHA grant, or the HISA grant. We can assist you in applying and submitting it to the local VA regional office.

What is covered by the grant?

The VA SAH Grant exists to help you make your home easier to live in and more of what you need in your day-to-day life. Some of the features or modifications the SAH Grant can cover, include:

  • Bathroom remodeling
  • Bedroom modifications
  • Creating or modifying covered porches, ramps & walkways
  • Kitchens
  • Modifications to garages, carports & passageways
  • Doors, windows, flooring materials & security items
  • Concrete or asphalt walkways, sliding doors
  • Handrails, grab bars

Our professional home contractors for home accessibility will be happy to help you understand what is covered, identify what changes you can and should make in your homes (based on your specific needs), then provide all the planning, design and work to remodel your home. (You can learn more about the SAH Grant, here.)